Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My world has come crashing down...

So I pride myself on my good use of grammar (yes I did spell that wrong when I typed it the first time...grammer) and spelling skills, but today my perfect little world of speech came crashing down around me. I was talking to the Duke and I said a song was "folky." Fohl-Key. He immediately began mocking me, saying "Fohl-Key? Is that what you said?" I had no idea why he was making fun of me. He proceeded to inform me that it is pronounced "fohk." There is a silent "L" in the word "Folk!!!" How could I not know that?! I also spelled the word "What" wrong today on a test at school. I started the word with an "h" then turned that into a "W" and then finished the word with a "aht." I fear I may be slowly becoming retarded.

4 comments:

Josh said...

Your precious Duke quizzed me today on how I pronounce "F-O-L-K," and I too said "fohlk." What a jerk.

rabidrunner said...

From dictionary.com...
folk·y /ˈfoʊki/ [foh-kee] Pronunciation Key -

Gee I hate it when the Duke is right. I like Fohlkey better.

duskydarlinghue said...

whatever! that L is there and I am going to REPRESENT.

Vera said...

So, I present, for your consideration, that the E on the end of duke is also silent,,,,so that would make it duk (as in duk feet) OR it's duk"E".

I, don't give a folk what anyone says, including Webster (whom if I remember was a a really little black kid who hung with MJ) its foLk.